Thanksgiving is coming. You need to decide what you are going to do. You have several options.
1. Eat at home. According to Today Money, the average dinner will cost you about $50 to prepare for your family. Think family of five at the most. Each extra person is about $5 more. There is preparation time and cleanup to consider.
2. You could go eat at grandmother’s or mother’s house. You might save on food costs, but there are travel expenses, and often prying questions you might not like.
3. Pick up your dinner already made. I did this once when the kids were all sick. We couldn’t go anywhere and I wasn’t up to fixing a full feast. It is less expensive than doing it yourself. The only downside is you might not have some of your family favorites. Here is a sample menu from Krogers.
Supreme Turkey Dinner
(Turkey serves 8-10)
1 13–16 lb. Private Selection Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Turkey
2 24 oz. Wholesome@Home Mashed Potatoes
2 32 oz. Dressing/Stuffing
2 24 oz. Gravy
2 32 oz. Broccoli, Rice and Cheese Casserole
1 32 oz. Sweet Potato Casserole
1 16 oz. Wholesome@Home Cranberry Celebration
2 10ꞋꞋ Pumpkin Pie
1 12 ct. Dinner Rolls
(You can get this in a smaller size or with ham.)
4. Then there is dinner out. Many hotel restaurants put on a delicious holiday buffet but it may be pricey.
Here are some chain restaurants that are open on Thanksgiving and many are serving the traditional meal: Bob Evans , Cracker Barrel, Ponderosa, IHOP, The Claddagh Irish Pub, Boston Market, Buca di Beppo Italian Restaurants,. Ryan’s, Hometown Buffet, Old Country Buffet, Country Buffet, Granny’s Buffet, Fire Mountain, Bugaboo Creek Steak House, Denny’s, Golden Corral, Houlihan’s, Huddle House, Lone Star Steakhouse, Luby’s, Max & Erma’s, McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks, Mimi’s Cafe, Mitchell’s Fish Markets, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shoney’s, Ted’s Montana Grill. Waffle House, Whataburger
Call ahead because some locations may be closed and others require reservations.
5. You can always volunteer at the local soup kitchen. You’ll get to dine with folks who are truly grateful for what they are about to receive.
6. There is my old standby as a single person: The Frozen Turkey dinner. It is usually a dollar from Banquet. You can dress it up with a can of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce if you so desire.
7. Remember that Chinese buffets are open too.
As for me, we are going over the river and through the woods to my mother’s house.